Nov 8, 2009

Songs About Sunshine







I tend to be a happy person. That's just my nature. But when you're hiking through a sticky jungle with tons of bugs, weirded out on all types of meds, can't breathe because of a cold, and there's NO sun shining, it's not very easy for even me to be cheerful. The reason I mention the sun is because a lot of my happiness comes from sunlight. I always pick the bed near a window for that reason. That's also why I decided not to apply to that lovely, teeny, artsy college (Bennington) even though I lusted after their awesome literature classes. Just not enough hours of sun up there.

So, back to the jungle (or should I say, "rain forest", because it's SO true.) Our second day in the rain forest, (after a sunny, gorgeous 1st day), was a little bit overcast. I kept thinking, "Come on, Sun, come out to play!" but no deal. I started cracking jokes to cheer myself and others up, but it ended up only helping those around me. After threatening to cut somebody (as I so often do), Elisabeth cracked up and said, "Devon, I love you so much!" When I asked why, she responded, "Because you are always so happy! And that makes other people happy." I guess she didn't realize I wasn't really feeling the joy right then. Until we hiked down to our river boat.

As we stood in line on steep, slippery steps, waiting to board our only means of transportation, a few beams pierced through the clouds. And then there it was. A rainbow, arching perfectly over the river. Each end touched down in the hidden depths of the jungle on either side. Instantly, I was smiling again.

The songs for the day(s) (sorry, but I mean really, I've been in the Amazon!) are all about sunshine and how it connects to happiness. They're both pretty well-known, but still, listen and read the lyrics over. You might discover something new...

Brighter Than Sunshine

I never understood before
I never knew what love was for
My heart was broke, my head was sore
What a feeling

Tied up in ancient history
I didn't believe in destiny
I look up, you're standing next to me
What a feeling

What a feeling in my soul
Love burns brighter than sunshine
Brighter than sunshine
Let the rain fall, I don't care
I'm yours and suddenly you're mine
Suddenly you're mine
And it's brighter than sunshine

I never saw it happening
I'd given up and given in
I just couldn't take the hurt again
What a feeling

I didn't have the strength to fight
Suddenly you seemed so right
Me and you
What a feeling

It's brighter than the sun
It's brighter than the sun
It's brighter than the sun, sun, shine.

Love will remain a mystery
But give me your hand and you will see
Your heart is keeping time with me



Ain't No Sunshine

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone.
It's not warm when she's away.
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And she's always gone too long anytime she goes away.

Wonder this time where she's gone,
Wonder if she's gone to stay
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And this house just ain't no home anytime she goes away.

And I know, I know, I know, I know...

Hey, I ought to leave the young thing alone,
But ain't no sunshine when she's gone, only darkness everyday.
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone,
And this house just ain't no home anytime she goes away.

2 comments:

  1. Hi DevDev its your monster!! Just wanted to say love you!! oh and ha..I am a loyal reader..I'm the first to post something this time...=) come home soon I miss you (and so does everyone else) =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Monster!!! I love you too! I'll be coming home in less than 2 weeks (Saturday the 21st)

    I can't wait to see you! <3

    ReplyDelete