Aug 16, 2009

Days 2 and 3 (again)

Now, sitting in my home in Arequipa, typing to the noise of taxi horns with the smell of exhaust all around, I realize Lunahuaná is a slice of paradise. I want to recap my activities for those who don´t have a copy of my travel schedule...

Lunahauná is a small town about 2 and 1/2 hrs south of Lima. The drive there is a progression from city to desert to dunes to barren mountains...then, poof!, you´re in a lush valley! Once we got there, the group had lunch at the Refugio de Santiago, where we were served a six-course meal of Peruvian food (and juices). This is when I first tried Cuy! Afterwards, we toured the gardens behind the restaurant and then climbed partway up a mtn to see the river valley. For pictures from this trek, just check out my Facebook page! Later, we checked in at the gorgeous hotel I´ve included pictures of below...Hotel Rio Alto. It was amazing hanging out by the pool while the sun was out, but after it sank behind the mtns, we were in for a cooolllld night! So, we had a campfire, complete with s´more and sangria! (A combination I personally recommend!) :) We were quite toasty then.

The next morning, we got up bright and early to go white water rafting! My boat was really fun because I shared it with 3 other girls, including Dr. Mangan. We were TERRIBLE, so we laughed the whole time! The highlight of this trip was when the boat leaders made us create a human pyramid...on top of an over-turned raft in the middle of the river!

The rest of the day, we had group bonding activities and talks about Peru´s culture. For example, we were told that people usually greet each other with a hug and a peck on the cheek...a tradition that´s awkward at first when you´re new, but something I LOVE now. I love how open and personal this country is. When you are asked, ¨How are you?¨, it´s not just a greeting like it is in America. Here, you usually respond honestly and then inquire back. It IS funny, though, how the older men (and even a few young guys) will give you an ESPECIALLY big kiss on the cheek!

Finally, during our last night in paradise, I had a good long chat with a new girlfriend, Kate. I made a new bosom buddy...and she´s a fellow INFJ! We were like little girls at a sleepover, though, because we barely slept. We left to return to Lima at 5:30 that morning, but we didn´t go to bed until after 1 the night before!

2 comments:

  1. This is a VERY NICE post. Thank you for painting word pictures for us. S'mores & Sangria, huh? INDEED! :)

    Mucho LOVE,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. MEOW! Chumsie!

    Thanks bunches! More to come, but probs not 2nite. I already have a ton of hw...80 pgs to read for history alone! And yes, the S and S was DIVINE!

    One HUGE squeeze back,
    Devdev

    ReplyDelete