Mar 8, 2011

Brussels = Carbs

According to some friends, you don't need more than a weekend to see Brussels, so two weekends ago, me and my friend Jack took a quick trip up to Belgium. My mental "to do" list was quite short since I knew our time would be limited. This "to do" list was, in a word, carbs.

- try several Belgium beers
- eat a Belgium waffle
- eat Belgium fries
- eat chocolate
- try to combine all of the above if possible
- see the cathedral or royal palace if they are open/there's enough time

Check check check! Actually, our 1st night in the city, Jack and I each had a waffle, covered in vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and whipped cream, with a beer to wash it down. We both laughed when we finished and said, "Mission accomplished!" Brussels did not disappoint.

The next day was rainy 'n cold, but through restaurant/bar hopping, we managed to keep ourselves warm 'n toasty and the mood light. While we walked from place to place, we also got to see the breath-taking Grand Place, the cathedral and the palace's front door. Unfortunately, the rain kept us from idling in front of these gorgeous buildings for an extended length of time, but I did snap some quick shots. Most of the day, we were inside a warm room, sipping a beer, having long conversations and letting our coats dry.

FYI, before Brussels, I didn't really enjoy beer. Cheap, watery American beer always made me think of fat, sweaty men watching a baseball game. A Young's Double Chocolate stout felt like trying to down a loaf of bread. A Corona with lime was great when chilled and served with something spicy, but I couldn't take more than one. And no one likes a warm, sandy beer on the beach. So, when I tasted hints of nutmeg, caramel and sour cherries in my different beers in Brussels, I finally became a beer fan. See the slide show below for pictures of Brussels, the beers Jack and I sampled, and all the other wonderful carbs we ingested that weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment